Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

DAY ONE - AT THE PC OFFICE IN PRETORIA

RPCV Richard, PC Staffer Margaret, myself
Here we are on the first day of orientation at
Peace Corps offices in Pretoria.  I met Rich at the Atlanta airport.  He is from Philly, just retired, served Peru in the 60's, and will be doing IT work in the bush.  We are staying at a guesthouse that has a backpackers side and a nice guest room side. We are in the cheap side but it is adequate
and the breakfast was quite nice.

Met the Drs. today, got another shot, and some other things.  More of the same Weds. and  Thurs. and then Friday we are taken to our sites.  Mine is yet to be determined, as they are extremely cautious about safety in Joburg and want to make sure I live in an area close to the offices of Operation Hope so the bus ride is short and easy.  The place they had first lined up for me last September is no longer available and they're searching for a good Plan B.  

When approaching the line for customs at the airport after arrival, I heard my name being called, and here is my friend Vicky, whom I knew would arriving about the same time for her next project with Fluor (contractor to oil companies) but what a surprise to run into her!  We'll connect quite soon, I'm sure.  And, she'll be provided a car so it will be nice to be able to get out and about on our own. She worked at the Conoco plant in Billings for a year and I met her through my hiking club.

Oh, also today I met the 80-year old volunteer who will be done with her two-year service in March.  She's a black woman from Austin, TX  who is ready to start taking it easy and spend more time with her grandkids...she walks at least 5 miles a day, but has a glass of wine at night.  She had a horrible time with the language, sounds like worse than I experienced trying to learn Arabic.  At any rate, nice to meet someone who makes me seem young!

 I am liking the warm weather and no icy streets!  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home