Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Sunday, April 06, 2014

POLITICS

I mentioned recently that there are nine languages in South Africa. Democracy at work...there are 13 political parties!   I buy the Sunday paper and then read on it all week while I have breakfast and supper, and regularly watch Aljazeera early morning news on TV. Considering what goes on here makes the U. S. look like pretty angelic.  We just don't know how good our country is compared to the rest of the world.  And, how we must never take our freedoms for granted!

The current regime, ANC, that is now in power under Zuma is so corrupt it is unbelievable. But it is the party Mandela was involved with years ago, and the main opposition, the DA, is the one that oppressed the blacks, so many blacks will never vote for the DA even though they readily acknowledge the corruption of the ANC.  On the other hand, even some black people will say that the government ran better before apartheid was abolished.

It is very complicated and emotional.  Even though there are some blacks now in the DA, the two main parties are basically thought of as black and white.  There are many of both races who want to eliminate that distinction, but it will take more time, methinks.  Anyway, it is interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home