Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Wednesday, April 02, 2014

THIS N THAT

On the street (near) where I live.  Am so enjoying all the beautiful flowers and bushes.  These are a bit unusual.  Lots of rose bushes outside homes.


Some Common Sayings: 
Is it?:  Really?   Really!  Is that right?  No kidding! 
Sorted:  Organized.  Figured out.  In order
Scheme: is often used in place of “plan,” as in a long-range scheme, not in a negative way
Packet:  a sack or bag, as in “a packet of chips” 
Pavement:  the sidewalk
Zebras:  pronounced zehbras

Language:  There are 9 native local languages, but many are somewhat similar, so quite a few blacks will speak at least two.  Often as you listen to a conversation in Zulu or another language, you will usually hear an English word sprinkled in, as sometimes there’s just no word in their language to say it.  Also, numbers are always in English.  Educated blacks speak their local language, plus Afrikaan and English.  Afrikaan is still required in the school systems, although it is not mandatory in some private schools.    Many three syllable words have the emphasis on different syllables than we do.   I find it difficult a times to understand their accents, particularly over the phone.  Could be my old-age hearing…

Commute:  The shortest time getting to work by bus/taxi is 40 minutes…20 minutes walking and 20 minutes bus ride each way but it can take longer if the bus doesn’t show.  I usually leave the house a little after 7 a.m., get there around 8, work without break until 3, then walk to the bus stop. When the bus doesn’t show up after I wait 30 minutes past the usual time, I flag down a public taxi (van ) and catch a ride part way then walk the rest.  I generally walk at least 30-40 minutes a day just to/from work which is fine with me, except when there’s a downpour, which often occurs unexpectedly.  Public transportation is just not terribly convenient or reliable, except for a great short line train between Joburg and Pretoria.  The worst part is not being able to get around easily at night.

My house: Has windows with bars, as nearly all windows do in this country, (even in the country, but no screens.  No too many bugs in the house, though.  Most floors are tiled here in the city.  Generally no central heat or air, even in this upscale neighborhood, and electricity is very expensive, so most people just add more layers on their body and blankets on their bed. No one seems to like winter very much because of the cold, but I don’t think it rains much so that should be a redeeming factor, and the coldest  months are June and July.  I finally discovered I have pretty good internet upstairs so bought myself a plastic table and have a nice little place now to work on the computer.  And, it’s a bit warmer up here so that will be good come winter in a couple of months, since I’ll be doing lots of movie/TV series watching on my computer then as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home