Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Did some last minute shopping today in the medina in Azrou to get a kaftan for my CBT (community based training) home. Didn't have a robe and needed something to get from my bedroom to the delightful toilet during the night and in the morning.

We did some team exercises today and then were advised what town we would be going to, who our LCF (learning and culture facilitator) would be, and who our team members are. Have a favorite LCF who I was hoping for, but the group I'm in will be fine and will have a great learning experience, I'm sure. There are currently 23 women and 7 men in our entire group, and there will be two younger men in my group of six who will keep things fun and lively. There are eight women over 40. I am the eldest, but there is one woman who is one year younger. This particular group has a number of very strong personalities, and believe it or not, I have been sitting back and doing a lot of observing. Plan to do lots of listening and observing the next few months!

Rooms here in the hostel vary a bit. I have only one roommate and we have our own bathroom which is nice, but there are just three single beds in the room. no night stands, tables, shelves, or dressers, so our stuff is scattered all over. Also, one light hanging from high ceiling and no light by our beds so the reading situation is not the best. The bathroom has a shower w/drain but isn't built very well to keep the water off the toilet area. It does have an American toilet, tho, so that is good. Other rooms have a closet, but share a bathroom with other rooms...and most other bathrooms apparently run out of hot water all the time, but we have been lucky to have had hot water all the time. So life is pretty easy on that score so far. When we leave they will let our rooms to other travellers. We practice our Arabic on the kitchen staff. I have this great camping thermos type mug that also has a french press deal, so I go into the kitchen every night after dinner to get hot water for my herbal tea. This mug is envied by many others, and am so glad I brought it, but wish I had more herbal tea as it isn't very available here! And, the tea/coffee here is drunk in small glasses...no cups or mugs used.

I have tried to use my international phone cards about six times and with no success as yet. One of the Peace Corps volunteers here said he hasn't been able to use his for the past year. I will persevere with my emails to MCE until I make it work! But it could take time. There is a Cyber at our next small town, so will be able to continue writing on the blog, but again on a "funny" keyboard, I imagine. So many little things I keep forgetting to relate but will try to keep the interesting things related as I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home