Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Tis the season for...plowing fields...with donkeys...

Well, somewhat like the Christmas...donkeys and all. Not sure what they will plant. That is more to be discovered, but sure is a lot of plowing going on these days. My town has a good olive industry, and noticed some almond trees the other day as well, but not certain if that's a business or just a side line. There's just so much to notice/see as I walk every morning. I always see many tourists vans/buses and wonder how much of the "real" Morocco they experience. So for those of you who may be visiting me, we can sure do the touristy thing and ride a camel for a couple of hours in the desert (yes, I do intend to try that!) but you'll also have a chance to see rural life here.

I read in a magazine the other day that the irrigationn systems here about 2000 years ago were so state of the art and so good they are still used in some areas today, after being copied by many countries. Water of course is such a primary concern everywhere, and they do a decent job here. One good thing about this country, compared to many others one might visit, like Mexico...is that you can drink water from the tap in hotels, restaurants without worrying about it.

Found a great teacher for Darija (Moroccan Arabic). She is a new English teacher at the high school here. Newly married, but her husband is a farmer between Rabat and Casa Blanca, so she is pretty lonely...has an aunt keeping her company recently. She was in N.Y. on a Fulbright, so is aware of American customs, etc., and is not of the mind set of the wife staying in the house all the day, nor of watching soaps a lot on TV, etc. So I really enjoy her company and look forward to our lessons and visits every week. But I am sure I am quite frustrating to her, as I learn one thing one week and have forgotten it the next. This older learner business really applies to me, sorry to say...I'm just not an exception to the fact that the learning process is slower and more difficult, esp. with language!

I'll be meeting friends in Marrakesh Saturday for an overnight, and hopefully find the Presbyterian church so can attend church Sunday morning. Have to be back home before dark on Sunday, then will open my gifts. Christmas Day I may look for a house to rent, which will make me very happy if I am so lucky to find something nice, reasonable, and available the end of January!

Wishing all my friends and family a blessed Christmas. Love to all...

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Connie,
Have a Merry Christmas and know that all of us are thinking of you in this time of year. Our hearts are with you and we wish you the best!
Love,
Hayden, Keaton, Marci, & Paul

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home