Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Sunday, December 24, 2006

CHRISTMAS EVE DAY and my little group has pretty much disbanded after a nice time of visiting and having dinner at a very nice Indian restaurant last night in Marrakesh. Six of us got together, three staying at a more upscale place that had heat and in-room bathroom, with towels provided even! and the other three at the regular cheap (but very clean) place near the main tourist market. I will be at the cyber for a couple of hours before going to a photo shop to get some prints made and then getting a taxi home.

I must admit that I have not missed the commercialization of Chrismas back home, and that the buying frenzy/stress that so many in the States go through seems silly when you compare what meager toys/things/stuff people have here. Really makes me even more aware that the best gifts are ones that create wonderful memories, and that pretty much means spending time together, laughing and loving each other. It will be interesting when I return to see how much materialism plays a part of my life. Sure isn't much here at this time...although I do have certain "things" I want in my own house.

My gift to those of you who read is the name of an excellent book, "Eddie's Bastard" by William Kolwolski. One of the best I've read for a long time. Many passages are keepers...the ones that make you want to write it down...like on page 46 and 51. I read a couple of books a week...likely when I have my own place and really start "working" that will be cut down to one a week. Thanks heavens for the Peace Corp library. I also get the Newsweek, complimentary. Read the review of new movie "Dreamgirls" and look forward to seeing it someday.

Next blog I'll talk more about my work and what I'll be doing the next few months. I really am here to accomplish something!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home