Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Saturday, June 02, 2007

HAIR. Lots of it...black (or with a red henna tint) and usually long, on girls and women. Men...for some reason, seem to seldom be bald. Once in awhile I see a bald Moroccan male, but rarely. There are barbers everywhere, and cheap, so most men all have haircuts pretty often. Although most women wear scarves in the rural areas, in the cities you see more Moroccan women without scarves. Being "scarved" is a personal religious choice. Most Muslim women wear scarves on their heads, and only a few wear veils. Sometimes they are old, but also occassionally they are young. I've been told that wearing scarves is also somewhat of a fashion thing now, as well. As is the case worldwide, there is no statement that is true across the board...the scarf issue varies from region, but at this point, it is pretty much a general rule that those who live in rural areas tend to be the more conservative.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home