Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

COLD! This weather sure changes on a daily basis, but then that is the case the world around, yes? Had a huge rain again two nights ago and had to keep wrapped up in blanket to stay warm in house, but sun out again today and likely will be hot soon. It's especially bothersome if doing any travelling, to know what to take. Layers seem to always be the rule here. Rain not good for current wheat harvest, but wonderful for melon crops...watermelons all of a sudden everywhere in the souks.

A note about my work. Recently discovered that some of the girls speak only Berber language, not Moroccan Arabic nor French. So as I have been sitting around trying to pick up language by listening, the fact of the matter is in a 15-minute conversation among 5-6 girls/women, there will be Arabic, Berber, and French spoken.

The women at the neddy want a boutique, and tell me there is no problem finding lots of help to work at the store. Well, methinks they really don't understand what that entails. Like, you don't shut down every day from 11:30-2, and you need to be open on weekends. So that is an issue yet to be addressed, but first is the problem of an inventory of quality product that tourists will buy. Right now, girls come primarily to learn embroidery stitching and knitting. When they put in so many hours and have so many samples that meet standards, they receive a diploma, which is their goal. Likely during that time they are also in waiting for a marriage proposal. I doubt if any of them think about actually making things to sell and getting money for it. Ah, the problem not only of language and clear communication, but a culture so different from ours. Then, am told by French people that what the French tourists want to buy (they being the majority of tourists in Morocco) is hand-woven things, not embroidered/knitted items. Weaving is not done at the neddy, but in the homes of women who live in the many villages surrounding my town, and they all speak Berber, not Moroccan Arabic.

It is a long and arduous process, this small business development, and some days I just can't quite figure out how to proceed, so try to just live from day to day and don't even think about lots of plans and goals. Quite a difference from my old life!

The drop-out rate worldwide for PC is about 33% (those who don't complete the 2 years of service plus the 3 months training). It is a higher percentage in Morocco. People leave for a variety of reasons...to go to grad school, medical problems, combination of many things. It is very challenging to be by yourself, struggling daily to communicate with others, all the physical discomforts that come with the territory, having to report to numerous people your whereabouts at all times, the cultural differences, etc.

Am going to treat myself to a trip to Essaouira next weekend; I understand it is a great little city, on the ocean, with lots of kite surfing to watch, so should have some great photos for my next blog.

My last quote from the "Alchemist" (believe me, I need to, and do, re-read these often!) "There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home