Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

There has been interest by some of my readers in knowing a bit more about the spring camp...I think I covered it all before, but here's some more info. Here is a picture of the six volunteers (all in the back row). The one on the far left who looks Moroccan has mid-east heritage and is from Texas. His name is Kareem; he can hardly wait to come and visit me in the Big Sky Country with his girlfriend. Both of them were in my community-based training group when we first arrived in Morocco.

We all taught English class every morning for three hours. The two male environment volunteers team taught both English and their afternoon club activities and the rest of us worked alone, generally having 13-18 students. We had a different group for English every morning...all different levels. So I used basically the same type of class, but altered it to the very beginning student to the more advanced. I did mention previously that no one got out of my class, however, without learning the "Hokey Pokey." I hope someone who works at Payne Financial Group is reading this! It was a resounding hit there and I used it for my first exercise class last week at my neddy...

Then in the afternoon business club, I had nearly all advanced students, and we talked about knowing your customers and your competition, that you need a plan, and having a passion also helps succeed. We also discussed quality vs quantity. I took them to visit with the director of the art center next door one day, and then the man who owned the cyber across the street another day. Fortunately, both business owners totally validated everything we had already discussed in class. I really bonded with this group, and do believe they got a much better idea of what's involved in running a business. We review items on a P&L statement, which really opened their eyes to expenses. It was just a really terrific experience. It so helped that they could understand English pretty well. I need to impart the same information to my women in my neddy, but it will take some more months of language skills to get to that point with them.

Campers are campers the world around. They come together, many strangers and leery of each other, sticking to their own little comfortable groups. By the end of the week they are bawling their eyes out to have to leave their newly made friends. Very cool. Best experience I've had thus far, without a doubt!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home