Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Saturday, March 31, 2007


Last weekend the neddy had an exposition, where they put up a big tent outside and showed many of their products for sale. An environment association also had an exhibition booth, as did a local book store. The event lasted four days, ending on Saturday, when three vans of "white" tourists pulled over on the highway and headed down the little hill towards the neddy. At that time, the high school students were doing plays out on a big stage, and there were many local people there to watch, as well as be present for the "diplom" ceremony later where many of the women/girls received certificates for their work accomplished at the neddy. I went over and spoke to the guide of the vans and discovered they were all Americans (a surprise, as most tourists are French) and invited them to come down and shop. That was a fun deal, they were very surprised to meet me, and did buy a few things! There are many things that my neddy (as well as many others in Morocco) need to learn about marketing, but then, that is why I am there! But it is walking a fine and delicate line, because cleanliness and quality of product are among the issues, and it is quite diffcult to deliver constructive criticism, however diplomatically! Here is a photo of three of the women at the neddy. The one in the middle is very short, is about 32 and gives me a hard time. It is fun to tease her back and forth, and I tell her she acts like one of my daughters!



Some of you have asked about what this area thinks of US politics/world position, etc. That is quite easy to address. I have yet to meet anyone who has positive thoughts about the American president, which is putting it nicely. Luckily, they don't equate the entire US or Peace Corps with the same feelings they have about our forceful presence in Muslim countries. I refuse to talk politics or religion with any host country nationals...even if the speak very good English and would not misunderstand me. It's just not a very wise thing to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home