Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Am I in Montana?! Shut my eyes yesterday/last night/this morning and thought perhaps I was in Gt. Falls or Livingston, MT...the wind was blowing heartily! So, like often in MT, all that good moisture we got in Feb. is getting dried up. Hopefully, the wind will blow in some more rain. I understand that in the summer months, along with extended 120 degree (F) heat, there is lots of wind. Sounds delightful. :(wh Am glad that for at least two weeks of that time I'll be home in much cooler weather conditions. But it is quite gorgeous here now. Wheat fields are lush green along the hill sides...wild flowers in bloom.

Just love getting mail and care packages...but even if your postal people tell you it will only take 5-7 days to get here...which may be true of how long it takes mail to reach Morocco, but I seldom get anything in less than 3 weeks. Don't know where it goes once it gets to the country, but it takes awhile to get to my post office. Also, they usually open and inspect boxes, and opened a bubble envelope I just got from a cousin in CA. They put a special tape over where they have sliced it opened so you know they've been in it.

I get to help with a youth camp the first week of April in a town near the Algerian border. My volunteer friend from WY who works in youth development has asked me to assist. It's school spring break and more Moroccan kids are turning out for it than they had planned. I think the word is getting out on what a great time it is. So am looking forward to that experience and diversion.

I guess the honeymoon is over. I've been suffering from a bit of depression and homesickness...friends ill, my aches and pains seem more pronounced, am missing my family, struggling w/language. There are still more peaks than valleys, but as warned by the Peace Corps staff, some days I wonder if they (the people in my village) really care if I'm here, and if I will be able to make a difference. I know that they do care and I am doing positive things, but as I said, the honeymoon is over. However, I am still glad to be here!

Here's the Alchemist quote for the day, and this one is especially for my friend Martha who faithfully sends a long snail mail letter every month. "We are afraid of losing what we have, whether it's our life or our possessions and property. But this fear evaporates when we understand that our life stories and the history of the world were written by the same Hand."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home