Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Had a delightful day Friday at a home of a woman who makes great whole wheat bread. It is, of course, Moroccan, which is flat and round. There is a great deal of kneading, but the process differs a bit from how we knead bread, and lots more water is used. It turned out good, with their help, but can imagine it will take a few failure with my own attempts in my own kitchen before I get it right. No measuring was done, of course, so that makes it a bit more challenging! So now I will share it with my friend in my cyber town, with peanut butter and huckleberry jam and herbal tea, compliments of friends from home! It will be a feast!

My house, I've discovered is truly an apartment...that is, I can hear sounds from the neighbors next door, and quite a bit of noise from the nearby highway. And that's with windows and doors closed, so will likely be pretty noisy this summer. The windows and doors really don't provide much barrier from sound, nor from cold or heat. I've also learned how much more homier a place is with rugs/carpets, and table lamps, of which I have none at this point. Just concrete floors painted rust red, with other paint splatterings here and there, from when they painted the walls (a light green) recently. But that will all come in the next few months. I have room to sleep four people, so that is good for when company comes! One unique feature of my place is that the two largest rooms have two light bulbs hanging from the ceiling! Wow, how great! Doesn't take much to make me happy! I loaded many CDs onto my Ipod and found some little speakers for it over here, so enjoy listening to everything from Bach to Barbra!

We have had a great deal of rainy days the past weekm which of course means grey days. Validates my previous notion that I would never make a good Seattle-ite! Am looking forward to blue skies and sunshine, but know just like everywhere where the economy is largely agriculture-based, that the rain is truly a blessing.

Had a visit last week from two men who work for a French NGO (non profit)out of Casablanca whose mission is to help women's associations such as the one I am with. Since one spoke English pretty well, had a great conversation and he reinforced some ideas/conclusions I had come to about the town, area, the neddie, the products they make, etc. So that definitely was helpful and a high point of my week.

I'm going to end with a quote from another little book I read called "The Alchemist". I thought it was a wonderful gem and will share some of it with you each time.

"What's the world's greatest lie? It's this: that at a certain point in our lives, we lose control of what's happening to us, and our lives become controlled by fate."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home