Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Odds and ends. There are 163 PC volunteers in Morocco, and 50 of those are in small business development, which is my group.

There are essentially no newspapers except in the major cities. And, very few people read, period. Have not seen any children being read to. Part of the problem is that Classical Arabic is not the language of the country, Darija, or Moroccan Arabic is, except in some areas where another "Berber" dialect is spoken. French is taught in school, but until then, it rather eliminates childhood books, it would appear. So nearly all the news most people get is on TV. I didn't even know Saddam was put to death until several days afterward, and really don't have a clue as to what is going on nationally. Except I can tell you that the Iraq war and Bush are strongly opposed by the Moroccan people, generally speaking. When I get to the cyber, I spend most of my time answering emails and bloggin, so don't have much time to go on line to read news. Hopefully they'll get internet in my town this year so that might change.

I got a house! Am pleased with the apartment, which is actually is...although rather small and doesn't have the windows I'd like, it is clean and will serve me well. I'll post pictures after I get moved in and have it furnished a bit. Most all buildings are concrete, 6" thick, so don't think fire insurance is a big seller here! The older mud and straw houses are actually better for the extreme weather conditions here, I am told, but well maintained ones are hard to find.

I'm in Marrakesh again this weekend and had a good dinner at an Italian restaurant with three other volunteers, and before dinner, played some gin rummy with one of them, who soundly thrashed me. He has incredible luck...must be that, and not my poor card playing ability?!
This city is fun, a big tourist trap, but lots of neat things to see...I guess! Haven't done the tourist thing yet...mainly visit with other volunteers, and do some shopping, and get out to eat something other than bread!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home