Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

A Memory Book was among the things I brought with me to work on...one of those that have pages of different aspects of your life to share with your kids when you're too old to remember (which is now) or gone, I guess. So anyway, I was thumbing through the pages on Christmas eve, and the saying for the month of June was "Rings and jewels are not gifts, but apologies for gifts. The only gift is a portion of thyself." Ralph Waldo Emerson. Considering it was Christmas Eve, very appropriate. I spent the evening trying to sing Christmas carols in my little room, but then, and the next day, couldn't do it without crying, so stopped my attempt at that. Must have been my first Christmas without going to church.

Christmas Day I had coffee and a great little granola bar I got as a gift from Marci. Dressed in my red V. S. things, I felt a little bit festive. I was "home alone" which in this instance means a happier day, just having some privacy and doing what I wanted. I did some laundry, and spent a good part of the beautiful, sunny day on the rooftop reading and looking at the gorgeous scenery. It really is very beautiful country. One direction is barren hills, and the other, snowcapped mountains.

Today I walked to my cyber town, which I think is about 12-13 miles. I got here in a little over three hours. It is hilly along the way, but primary downhill. Wasn't too exhausted after the long walk. I've been walking an hour every day. Look forward to when I get my own place to have a little workout area with my core training ball and bands to do muscle work and get ready for some serious hiking this summer. I am looking at a couple of places for rent this week and have hopes that one will be a keeper. I have come to realize that a private roof area is more a priority than an American toilet.

I'll finish today's blog by reiterating what the Peace Corps is all about, then next time I'll go into my work more.

First, the mission of Peace Corps is to promote world peace and friendship. The three primary goals of P. C. are the help people of interested countries in meeting their needs for trained men and women; to help promote better understanding of American people on the part of the peoples served; and to help promote better understanding of other peoples on the part of American people. So just being here, living among the people, sharing cultures is really the most important thing, and if we can help their economic status improve, that's a bonus. Morocco has four areas of work: Youth Development, Environment, Health, and Small Business Development. The latter is my assignment. I look forward to getting started with it mid-January, and sharing with you my challenges and successes with work and culturally.

May your New Year be blessed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home