Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Sunday, March 11, 2007

OK, so I lied!! The souk I went to last week in my town probably had 50 produce vendors, not 20! The number had increased but I know there were more than 20 last time when I reported about 20. Innocent mistake. There are also butchers there, specializing in sheep, beef, or chickens. Only one type of meat per butcher. And fish vendors. And vendors with plastic ware/ hardware stuff, clothing, etc.

My tutor, who is a true delight, found some asparagus as she was walking to school one day, so we went on the lookout for it. It grows in the new growth of bramble bushes, for lack of a better name, and its stalk is quite similar, so you have to really have an eagle eye to see the asparagus spear. We found enough for a good serving each. Most people around here are unaware that it is rather a delicacy and think we're a bit weird for relishing it. My tutor, her mother, her teacher friend, and a neighbor and I walked up in the hills in the afternoon for a tea party. It was a beautiful view, lovely walk, and just a neat deal. Will try to post some picture of it soon. My tutor's husband is a potato farmer who lives between Rabat and Casablanca, and she is very lonely for him, of course. I think we are both glad to have found each other, not only as student/teacher, but for friendship as well.

Oh, we also had a lunar eclipse a week ago. It wasn't totally black, but kind of reddish. Occurred Sat. night about 11 p.m. Usually am much asleep by then, but my houseguest(PCV from WY) knew about it so we got to watch it occur. Pretty neat deal!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home