Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Wednesday, March 07, 2007




Here's the souk in my little town! A picture from the highway, of the area where the souk is held, when it is both empty and when it is full. Then one photo of a couple of vendors vegetables laid out. There are probably about only 20 or so produce vendors at my souk; in my cyber town, which is small but still a lot bigger than my town, there are probably 50.

Here's what I bought for 18DH (about $2) last week. A kilo is about 2#. I got a kilo each of: beets, parsnips, carrots, beans, zuccini, cabbage, and 1/2 k onion. I boiled up some parsnips, carrots, beans, zucc, cabbage, coriander, parsley, then put it in a blender, pureed it, and have been eating on it for several days. Pretty tasty, healthy, and easy. Use a pressure cooker; the Moroccan's answer to microwave. There are the richer people that do have all the conveniences we have, but not out here in the boonies, for sure. A few other prices: for about $1 I can get a couple pounds of apples or bananas...they are the more expensive fruit. Oranges are about $.50 for a couple of pounds. Other than the canned tuna/sardines I buy, hardly anything I eat has preservatives, except of course the goodies I receive from America!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home