Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Another BIG rain yesterday. So good for the wheat. Speaking of which, I am proud to report I finally have become a Moroccan bread maker. Down on my knees on the concrete floor, kneading dough in the Moroccan manner. The flour is straight from the farm, to the miller, and then to me. The bread is very good, especially dipped in the wonderful olive oil made right in my little town.

I had a great visit with my Chicago daughter Marci and her boys this morning via Skype. No pictures today but a pretty clear audio. And got a letter from my friend Martha in the mail. Those communications, along with emails, sure help stave off the lonely periods. Only three months until I'm back to the U. S. for a visit! Lots to do before then.

Had a meeting with some of my board members at which my tutor interpreted, and I think we (the board and I) have a clearer understanding of needs and expectations. Since the main purpose of the neddy is to train women/girls in crafts, the first issue was to make sure they wanted to also sell product, which they do. Then they needed to understand that the machine embroidery and ceramics they make are not the types of things tourists will buy. So the focus on training needs to be on place mats, purses, etc.; things that are authentically hand-made, and fairly lightweight. Getting that on the table and discussed was a first step. They are also interested in working with the women who weave in their homes, to see if they would like to products that might sell in a "boutique." When the neddy is closed this summer, I will walk around and visit these women. In the mornings, that is. From what I understand, during the months of July and August, the town pretty much shuts down. Nearly all the school teachers go back to their primary residences, and all others just try to endure the heat and hot winds. I plan to come back with a DVD player so I can do something besides read books during weather that inhibits activity!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home