Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

The phone. Don't know if I've mentioned that I have a cell phone, but it is primarily used to text other volunteers, which is a cheap way to communicate. You buy the phone, then separately buy phone cards, which look like credit cards, and put in a code for the amount of dirhams you have purchased, and can use the phone until the credit runs out. About once a month they have double time, so I usually buy 100 Dhs and then get 200 Dhs credit. Using the phone in-country is more expensive on a cell phone than it is from a pay phone, so most locals go to the teleboutique (pay phone place) to make phone calls, especially long distance. In my little town, no one has a landline...everyone uses cell phones and texts. The rate for me to call the U. S. is about $1.35 a minute. Someone told me it was like $.15, but they were a bit wrong. That's why it's so attractive to Skype...which is computer calling computer. I am buying credit now, though, on Skype which allows me to call from the cyber computer to cell and landlines in America for about $.03 minute. They have a security system that made it hard for me to charge the credit but finally have it figured out.

Greetings. Saying hello to someone here is a lot different in America where we just say "hi" or "hello" or sometimes, "how are you?" There is much greeting back and forth and kissing of cheeks etc etc...just from woman to woman or man to man, primarily. A woman does NOT kiss a man's cheek or hug, unless you are related. But as I walk in the mornings, I do greet most all people, usually without stopping. Once in awhile I encounter an old shepherd and will make an effort to greet and shake hands. Because of my age as an American woman, I not only get by with it, but they seem to like the attention.

Coffee, tea or milk? I have a French expresso type of coffee pot that I put on the butane stove and make very strong coffee for my mornings. Milk comes from the milk guy fresh, or from the store in powder, or little plastic bags, or sealed pur-pak boxes. I usually buy the boxes in my cyber town, as I can get skim milk instead of whole milk. I find I don't miss lattes a lot, as I have become accustomed to drinking strong coffee with milk all the time. When reading about Morocco before I came, I got the impression that everyone drank sugary mint tea all the time. Not true. Mint is now back in season, so I'm seeing it again in tea, but at least where I live, just black tea is usually served. Unless they know you don't want sugar, it is served with a potload of sugar, as is coffee. I have loved drinking herbal teas in the cold evenings my friends have sent me from America. A little herbal tea is available here, but not very flavorful and little variety.

Weather is still in transition to spring. A few pretty warm days, but many still overcast and cool; however, no need to wear multiple layers in the house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home