Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Friday, May 18, 2007

HOT! and only May. I'm guessing it was close to 100 yesterday, w/hot winds besides. Just a preview of coming attractions. I will be happy to have a new computer w/DVD so I can lay in my sweat and watch movies this summer! Other volunteers indicate that's what they do...soak w/water, lay on their bed with a fan blowing on them. Not much gets done with work for a couple of months. My trip home will be timed well (and will include picking up my new computer)!

SHOES. No question they think mine are ugly, am sure they are too polite to say so, but bet my feet are more comfortable than theirs! I have a pair of tennis shoes, an old pair of Nevado sandals purchased at Costco about 6 years ago, and a black pair of lightweight black rubber blogs, called "dawgs", which are something like crocs. I do need a pair a bit dressier so will invest in a pair of Moroccan slip-ons. It seems a little weird to see these women in slip-on bedroom slippers walking along rocky paths. Of course, shoes always come off when you enter a room that has a carpet in it. No vacuum cleaners, so care is taken to avoid dirt on it.

Harvesting of wheat is beginning. Where I live is pretty rocky/hilly/mountainous, so it is done by hand. Many of the farmers have a kind of mortar/pestle deal in their house to grind the grain into flour; others take it to town where they pay the miller to do it. Very important activity, of course, since bread is the primary staple in their diet. Along with tea.

Whatever I had that was ailing me is gone and I'm feeling pretty fine. A little infection and bit of iron deficiency was found, so will get on some pills to get that taken care of.

Am in Kech on my way to a Volunteer Advisory Council meeting in the town where I did my initial training. I was going out to see my first host family, but decided to wait until my language was better so we could really visit. However, when I stopped at the gendarmes today to let them know of my travel plans, the chief commented that my Arabic was "muzeeyen", which means good. So I guess I am making some progress. My test will be the week of June 11th when we have our big in-service training...the toughest part is still understanding the native speaker. Little by little!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home