Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

In my blog a few days ago I showed photos of my friend teaching and one of the classroom in a nearby village. Here are a few facts about education in Morocco. Only 25% of children can read after primary school. 1/5 of middle school classes have more than 40 students. Basic education is compulsory up to age 15 but not enforced by law. Only 1 out of10 students go on to university level . A big part of the problem,as I see it, is the many languages they have deal with. Perhaps Berber dialect is spoken at home, Moroccan Arabic in the community, Standard Arabic in school, then they start learning French in the elementary grades, but have Arabized the teaching of math and science in high school. However, those disciplines are still taught in French in the university. Then, in most high schools, the student must also take another foreign language for two years. In my village, it is either English or Spanish. Most (all?) students here elect to take English, but I think their skill level is still pretty basic after two years.

And I thought I had it tough!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home