Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Here are photos of a walk I took on June 24. The one on the left is of two women sweeping the dirt path to their house. I always ask people if I can take their picture, especially if I am sure they will say yes. Women generally are reluctant, so I snuck this photo. People are generally very clean about their homes, inside and just outside, but then just throw trash anywhere otherwise. Part of problem is local trash collection and all that goes with it. The one on the right is of a hanut (pr. hanoot) on my way. notice Tide sign and Coca Cola is written in Arabic, and the owner is pouring out something for the young boy...not sure. At the hanut where I buy olive oil, I take an empty plastic soda bottle for them to fill. These little stores are EVERY where, even in little tiny villages. They don't mix produce hanuts with those that carry dry goods. And the ones in my region don't allow you to enter, so sometimes it is hard/impossible for you to see what they have for sale, and if they have what you want/need. But in other areas of the country, they are like "regular" stores where you go in and select what you want.
The picture on the left is of
another house, a more modest
dwelling. The older mud houses
are reputed for the capability
of being cooler in the summer
and warmer in the winter. But
most of the new houses are made of brick. I was trying to find the "calico" lamb I spotted a month ago. I did find a black and white ewe with a couple of older lambs, and as I was trying to get some pictures, a young boy nearby came running over, clearing wanting to be in the photo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home