Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Saturday, June 23, 2007

When I first saw some huge nests on top of towers, etc., I thought, "Gee, they have osprey here, too!" But they are stork nests, and here is one on top of the mosque in near my cyber. This will be a flora and fauna blog today. When I last wrote about monster ants, I had seen one of this and one of that, and was hopefully that trend would continue. But last night I walked into my kitchen and there about 10 of these big ants on my wall, all kind of in one spot, so I took off my sandal and got them, but sure can't figure out where they came from. And the really hot season isn't even here yet! There are lots of birds here, and as I walked yesterday morning, the air was filled with the sounds of birds. My birding friends would love finding some different species, or some of the same? that they see at home. The air is filled with the sound of donkeys and traffic by my house, and at night, often filled with the sound of dog fights.)

Also, during yesterday's walk I encountered an old shepherd I hadn't seen before, with about a dozen sheep which were grazing alongside the road. I greeted him, and he returned the greeting and extended his hand, so I crossed the road to shake his hand. Greetings here aren't just "hi"; they're quite elaborate, so we parted and me, with a tear in my eye. That is really what it's all about, the exchange of warm greetings with each other like we had was so big.

Ah, back to nature now. I mentioned about how they plant wheat in every little piece of available ground, however rocky. Well, didn't tell you that they plant year after year, with no rotation, so you can imagine how the soil becomes eventually. The wildflowers are still aplenty, and are beautiful. Guess it's because I'm near the mountains and we're nearer the equator, but it is pretty dark here now by 8:30, and not bright daylight until 6 a.m. I know that darkness in the evening will be a blessing when the heat hits, but do miss the long days of summer, as I've become more of a "light" person.

Have posted a few new pictures in some other recent blogs. Enough for today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home