Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

CASCADES d'OUZOUD. A little R&R with friends. Had a nice weekend w/another PCV.
The night I arrived two of her friends and I all feasted on wonderful spring rolls, chicken and rice, and a Moroccan lemon meringue pie!

The next day we took a day trip with another nearby volunteer to a place called Cascades d'Ouzoud. The drive there in the taxi was rather spectacular, but mostly uncomfortable. It was quite hot, the driver had the native music playing very loudly, and it was hairpin turns in and out of mountains for a couple of hours. But the place, once we got there, was quite pretty. I think it must be very beautiful early summer. Mostly Moroccan people there, many kids (mostly boys, of cours) enjoying the cool water, lots of folks brought picnic lunches, blankets, and just spent the day in the shade.


We had tagine for lunch and made friends with a mama cat and two of her kittens who were quite pleased to take the chicken scraps from us.
Another day we went to the other volunteers town and meandered around, had a great tagine for lunch, saw lots of very old buildings/homes. Then back to her home for another walk around, cold drink with one of her Moroccan friends. Last night we just chilled, watched the movie "Fast Food Nation" (it will be awhile before I eat another hamburger), had popcorn, and got to bed early for my 6:30 a.m. departure to go back home. Am headed back to Rabat Thursday for a meeting, then stopping near Casa on my way back to stay overnight with my tutor and her husband. She lives there during the summer, but has an apartmeNt in my town during the school year. Tough deal for them to be apart, but not uncommon when both spouses want to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home