Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Monday, March 17, 2008

St. Patrick's Day

  • 9:30. My counterpart and I went (via taxi) to my post office town where there is branch bank of the women's association bank in Marrakech. It was my thought we would open an account for the project money close by so it would be easy to access cash and/or checks to pay for things as we progress. But we were informed we needed to cash the check at the bank on which the check was drawn.
  • Stopped by the post office, got two letters from home! And a bill for the Internet.

  • Went to Marrakech (via bus) then walked 20 minutes to the bank. Cashed the check. Ran into the manager of the place we're getting the movable partitions made and he gave us a ride to the business. We discussed plans for movable partitions, gave him a down payment. He said they would be done in April, and I asked that before they haul them out to us, he call so I can go see them just to make sure my vision/drawings and the finished products agree.

  • He then gave us a ride to one of her relatives' house where we had a tasty chicken tajine for lunch.

  • Walked to the bus stop. On the way, we were talking about how I had a hard time keeping everyone in her family straight. We also visited about how families are getting smaller, both in America and here in Morocco.

  • Waited for the bus about 30 minutes. Then rode the bus about 30 minutes to the next bus stop that takes us back to the post office town, (about 50 minutes) then into a taxi for the last leg (20 minutes.)

  • Arrived back home at 6:30 p.m.

  • This business place referred to makes various kinds of things, including furniture and other items made from old tires. Here is a photo of a stool in the office. They used to burn tires abundantly to fire kilns for pottery as there was/is a shortage of wood, but that method is only used out in small rural towns now...I think (hope!)
    • 0 Comments:

      Post a Comment

      << Home