Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Friday, February 15, 2008



FOOD Info. A topic of interest to everyone, yak? (that means, do you agree?) When I went to the hanut (small store, pr. "hanoot") the other day, I was reminded how inexpensive produce is here when it is in season. For instance, I bought a kilo (about 2#) of each of the following: cauliflower, beets, oranges, onions, carrots, and tomatoes. Total cost was equivalent to about $3.25. Lots of times I'll buy bananas and they're totally unblemished inside, but they look pretty beat up on the exterior. Some people erroneously believe that all produce here is organic; however, other than small gardens, the farmers do use pesticides.

The village where I live offers the basic variety, but in the "Jewish Quarter" in Marrakech there is a market where you can get broccoli, different types of leaf lettuce, and fruits other than the oranges, apples, bananas. I've seen raspberries and other more "exotic" types there. The town where I get my mail also has more variety. But I do fine with what I get here with an occasional (expensive)treat from the larger towns.
Meats are fairly expensive, so quantity is not eaten here like we do in the U S. Here's the chicken hanut; beef and lamb are sold at a different shop. Chickpeas, lentils, eggs are a major source of protein. And yogurt...tons of different kinds, as evidenced by what you see in the countryside; many discarded containers there. The price for yogurt is a bit cheaper here than it is in the U. S. I buy skim milk in a cardboard container and it is a little over a $1for a 1/2 liter (quart). There are also lots of nut/raisin/date vendors; peanuts are a popular snack item; one rubs the skin off before eating as they get quite dirty. Peanuts sell for about $1.90 a pound.

Keep in mind though, about U. S. prices; we don't live on an U. S. economy,so U. S. prices here means expensive. For instance, McDonald prices are about the same, or even a bit more, than they are in America. That means McDonalds is expensive! It is therefore considered a "prestigous" place to go. (My language tutor who was in New York state on a Fulbright, knew that it was considered junk food there, so her attitude about McDonald's does not match that of the locals.) Other items tend to be a bit pricey. 1/2# coffee is about $1.95. A box of cereal (standard size, like Kellogg's Fitness), is $5.85. In the winter I usually have the less expensive oatmeal or barley cereal.

Bread, (the round flat type) however, continues to be the mainstay of the diet in the poor rural areas like I live in. The main meal is at noon, where there will usually be a tagine (stew type of meal with vegetables) and couscous usually on Friday, which is a special mosque prayer day and the noon "hour" often extends from two hours to three hours.


I'll close this blog with sharing my recently discovered culinary
delight.This time of year is asparagus time! Not many native people eat it, but some do understand that it can be considered edible. Here is where it is found. There are various kinds of "bramble bushes" but only one has asparagus growing in it, and it's the only place I can find it (other than the larger markets in big cities). I saute it in olive oil (made right up the street from me)with diced potatoes, and top it with a couple of eggs over easy and voila! a great weekend breakfast! And much cheaper than American cereal, as well...

1 Comments:

Blogger caroleb said...

These hanuts are quite colorful. Thanks for the explanations about the groceries and foods you eat.

Tomorrow we take the offering at Mayflower UCC. We will send the check Monday to the Peace Corps office. Will let June know how we came out, but I'm sure we'll put you over the top.

Regards, Carole Baumann

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home