Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Monday, January 07, 2008

UPS AND DOWNS. Rains have stopped, but water and power outages have not. Had water long enough to get laundry done and reserve replenished before next water outage. Power outage today for about 6 hours, but it was during the day, so no candlelight reading tonight!

Last week neddy closed for two days for calendar new year; this week is closed two days for Islamic new year. Hard to progress much with so many days inactivity. BUT! happy occasion today! Sixty new (white plastic) chairs arrived. Now this may not seem like a big deal, but here is what was happening. Every morning we (or they) had to go to the boy's boarding house and bring over chairs for the women/girls who were at the neddy, then return so the boys had a place to sit for lunch (the neddy closes for about 2 hours at noon) then go back and get them, then take them back at the end of the day. A bit of a hassle. The King's Foundation, which also funded the neddy to begin with, came through with some chairs; if I understand correctly, maybe a new computer and some new tricot (sweater making) machines as well will be coming, enshallah. These items will enhance my project.

The rains here meant snow in the mountains, and so the snow you saw in the photos of my New Year's Eve day walk is largely increased, and the mountains are very beautiful. The dry river beds are running with a great deal of "red" (clayish)water. It is hard to get out of bed in the morning to walk, as it feels SO good to be warm, but in another month it should be warmer in my house!

I had a great overnight in Marrakech Saturday and two nice hot showers. It had been a week since I bathed (we're talking bucket bath) due to lack of adequate water supply. Oh yeah, camping out is right!! While in Kech, I joined up with several other volunteers; one man's parent's are here. The parents met each other while serving as PCVs in Kenya in the 70's. We had a fun visit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home