Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Sunday, December 30, 2007

HAPPY 2008! In about 11 months I will be home! I am once again blogging from home and just posted about Christmas Day. It is getting to be winter here (about 45 degrees in my house this morning when I got up and will likely get up to about 53 for a high) but yesterday I saw a man still plowing a field (with two donkeys) for planting wheat, and a woman washing her clothes by an old well. How I wished I had my camera with me! I will take it the next few days to try to capture some of those images!

I believe that on a blog much earlier I referred to a great book I had read, "The Kite Runner" about two boys and their relationships during the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. In a recent international Newsweek magazine there is an excellent article about the movie from that book that is just being released. I highly recommend the book, and it appears that the movie is also quite excellent.

The "holiday" atmosphere/lifestyle is still pervasive here following the Muslim Layeed Kbeer. The calendar new year is observed this next week with no school Monday or Tuesday, then I think it is the 10th that the Islamic calendar celebrates new year, so school (and the neddy) are closed then as well. The number days high school has been in session since September is few. As I understand it, it is the "fault" of the students, parents, administration, ministry, and sometimes even the teachers. No wonder hardly any go to the university. I also just discovered this is the first year the "baccalaureate" is offered in my village. That is the equivalent of our high school diploma.

If nothing else, I have to come to appreciate our governments/schools systems more...even with all our imperfections, they are still excellent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home