Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Monday, June 02, 2008

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE...AND PROGRESS. Pride is one of the seven deadly sins, and certainly the one I often struggle with the most! Had hoped to be invited to present at the annual training week for new volunteers (at a great coastal resort) but was not, so after getting over my pouting about that, I had a good weekend in my village, doing laundry, walking, trying to learn some basic Spanish online (am going to Spain for a week the end of this month).

I find that it is often difficult to accept how things are here, and must say I do get prejudicial about the Moroccan lifestyle and culture at times. But you know, I think educated Moroccans do, as well. They know that education is important, and that throwing trash everywhere is bad not only for appearance, but for the environment. They know that organizing and planning leads to progress.

Speaking of which. Just seemingly simple things are so difficult. I know a woman who teaches French in the grade school, and I wanted to take a photo of her and her 4th grade class to send to my daughter who is also a 4th grade teacher. I went this morning, and was informed the principal (who she needed to get permission from) said no go, as he had to get permission from his higher ups in the provincial capital. I guess they think I might be a spy or something. Seriously. You'd think in a small village that after 1 1/2 years of living among them, the word would have spread about why I am here, but apparently not.

Progress on my job continues at a slow pace. I need my counterpart's presence to help me and she has gone to Marrakech again today; hopefully some of the things she is doing relates to needed items for the boutique project.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home