Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Sunday, June 01, 2008

ZBL. Isn't that a cool word? It means
"trash." Not a cool sight! But there is a lot of it everywhere, along with all the black (and clear) plastic sacks. The disposable society has come to even rural Morocco, but the resources to handle disposables has not. There are guys that go around my town and for a small fee, pick up garbage that is left in front of your building. Where they take it I do not know, but I am fairly certain it is not to an environmentally good place. Other people just throw it wherever. Lots and lots of empty yogurt containers everywhere. There is an apparent need for the governments (at all levels) to implement some sort of garbage programs. A problem is that there are seldom any trash receptacles in public areas. While waiting on the platform at the train station, I looked for a place to throw some trash, and a woman with a broom and dustpan indicated I needed to throw it on the floor so she could sweep it up. Guess that's how it's done...when it gets done. I've learned to tolerate it (barely) and see past the trash to the beauty of the countryside.

People ask if I think I will have changed from this experience. I hope one thing that doesn't change is how much less I will use non-renewable resources. It's amazing how one can get by without paper towels or napkins...even less TP! I recall how Mom used to save string on a ball and other means of conserving things. Maybe we are progressive if we regress to our childhood ways? I believe I will be less materialistic than before; not totally, but less. And I know that I will need to continue practicing tolerance...in reverse from here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home