Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE

I am so blessed!  First, I have an organization to work for that is treating me just wonderfully!  Today I learned that Operation Hope is the brainchild of John Hope Bryant, who believed after the Rodney King riots that empowering people through financial literacy would help give them dignity and subsequently live better lives, and that capitalism can help the underserved.   He has served Presidents Clinton, Bush and Obama.  Based in L. A., they opened their only international office in South Africa in 2007.

Today my apartment was approved by the safety and security unit of Peace Corps.  It will be a cozy nest in a very nice neighborhood.  The owner is a woman from N. Y. who has lived here for 13 years and runs her own NGO called "Camp I Am".  Google it (show Johannesburg) if interested.  It is inspiring!  She will be a fun landlady, of that I'm sure!

Thursday my co-worker will take me shopping to get the many things I need, especially in the kitchen, to set up housekeeping.  Although the space is very small, it will be adequate, and best of all, I have a shower with hot water and a flush toilet.  Hey!  What more could one ask when you're in the Peace Corps!?

Friday night a former PCV in Morocco who I knew slightly is coming to pick me up for dinner, and Sunday an old friend, Vicky from Columbia who is working here, will be coming to see me.

The main challenge for me now is to get the transportation thing figured out.  I found a Methodist church that is only a 25 minute walk from my apartment, and meetings are also held there a couple times a week.  I'll be getting a bus card (50 % discount for "pensioners") and can ride the train to areas a little further away.  Plus there's always the tuck-tuck (small cabs).

Yes, things are going very well thus far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home