Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Monday, April 14, 2014

THREE MONTHS AND SOAPIES

It's been three months since I arrived in South Africa.  I have seen and done SO much in that period of time that while it went by fast, it does seem as though I've been here a long time.  Now we're entering winter and shorter days and my work is becoming a bit tedious, so methinks the next three will drag a bit.  Lots of reading, and watching movies and TV series on my computer.  It's already running between 60-64 in my house so I can see why June and July will not be pleasant.  I'll try not to gripe about it too much.

Yes, TV.  Well, they run what they call their "soapies" during prime time...which are some of their own African shows, but Day at a Time and Bold and Beautiful can also be viewed.  Then news, or nuus if you're watching the Afrikaaners version.  Then perhaps a decent movie or program comes on at 8 or 8:30. I won't complain too much, though, as my landlady was kind enough to leave the ancient TV in here and hook up the antennae so I get a bit of diversion without any cost.  Anyway, back to soapies and the news.  When one has Blade Runner Pistorius (remember the Paralympian who allegedly murdered his girlfriend) and Zuma (the current ANC president) and the whole political scene, to read or see in the news, that is about all the soap opera one really needs. Seriously.  I'm going to start burning up a few of my American $ to buy more data (internet usage) to read U. S. papers online.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home