Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Saturday, May 17, 2014

KON TIKI - SCOUTING

What a wonderful Saturday I had at a Scouting event with a couple that I met at a PCV training a few months ago.  At that time, they told me if I wanted someone to do something with, send them an email...so I did, and they took me to a raft-building competition at a small lake about a 30 minute drive from where I live.


Sheila and
Andrew Tanner, Scouters extraordinaire! They are now leaving for a five-week holiday, which will include two weeks of sailing on the Adriatic Sea.


There were 52 rafts built from Friday afternoon to Saturday noon...then they were launched, and the raft crew had to spend 24 hours on it...cooking all their meals, sleeping (it is now getting fairly cold at night).  I watched the latter stages of construction and the launchings.  Pretty amazing what these 11-18 year olds can do!


The rafts were judged on many factors, including mobility (all had paddle wheels), craftmanship, etc.) This year's theme was "Go Green" so lots of use of plastic bottles.









There were probably about 1000 people there, with troops from all over South Africa, lots of leaders, parents, grandparents, etc coming to watch.  Perfect weather, wonderful to get out of the city!

Also,  I learned what Kon Tiki means...guess I missed the book and movie but will watch it now when I get home. So if my readers don't know...Google can tell you!

The Pre-Launch Ceremony was impressive, with all the troops gathered in a big circle with all their energy and enthusiasm!  And, officials did it right...it was short and sweet!
A few of the rafts on the lake.
There was also a game area, kind of a carnival, where lots of fun was had by the younger kids.  Got some photos and good ideas to share with my teacher daughters for possible use.

Was googling Scouts and found this very interesting piece of information about Scouts South Africa.  Wow!
Chief Scout: Sibusiso Vilane
Chief Scout Sibusiso VilaneMr Sibusiso Vilane is one of a handful of South Africans, and the first black African, to climb each of the Seven Summits, the seven highest peaks on each of the seven continents. He climbed Kilimanjaro seven times (Africa), Mount Everest (Asia, 2003, 2005 and 2014), Mount Aconcagua (South America), Elbrus (Europe), Carstensz Pyramid (Oceania), Vinson (Antarctica) and Denali/McKinley (North America).
On 17 January 2008, Mr Vilane and his Team Extreme partner, Alex Harris, became the first South Africans to walk to the South Pole completely unassisted. April 2012 he completed the ‘three poles challenge’ (North Pole, the South Pole and Everest) when he trekked to the North Pole. He is currently a professional speaker, mountaineer, expedition guide and leader. In December 2013 Sibusiso Vilane was nominated as Chief Scout of SCOUTS South Africa. At his official inauguration on the 15th of March 2014 Chief Scout Sibusiso Vilane motivated all Cubs and Scouts to reach for their dreams and venture out into the world as they are “Limitless!”. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home