Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Saturday, May 03, 2014

WALKING AND SOWETO VISIT

I sure do a lot of walking!  Without a car and a small dorm-size fridge, I make numerous trips to the grocery stores every week; the nearest is 20 minutes walk.  Last Sunday was great weather and I walked to the Zoo...got in at pensioner's rate of R36. In addition to the Big Five and many other animals (including a napping Grizzly), saw some gorgeous scarlet ibis, at which time I realized I forgot my camera!  Total  likely distance that day: 7-8 miles.  There is a concert there next Sunday on Mothers Day so I may go back for another walk, with camera in hand this time.  I'm sure there will be a huge crowd.  Something I was told by my counterpart makes a lot of sense, for this zoo and those around the world.  Most children do not have the opportunity to see these animals, on photo safaris or in fields, or wherever their natural habitat may be.  So it is important to have zoos.  Huge improvements have been made over the years to provide the animals with an appropriate environment.  This one wasn't too bad.

Yesterday my counterpart drove nearly an hour to pick me up to spend the day at her house in Soweto.   We got there and her mother was in a church meeting and never did get home, so it was just Tshidi, her little 3-year old and me.  She made a nice lunch for me and as we were leaving to come back, saw her mother on the street so met her briefly.  It was a nice outing, and I think she was happy to show me that there are many homes in quiet neighborhoods in Soweto that are nice and modern, in addition to the tin shacks which tour companies tend to focus on.

My friend Vicky is back in the country but is working a turn-around at a refinery two hours from here so will not be seeing much of her.

Work is progressing; I will have the first draft of the manuals (Facilitator's Guide and Participant's Notebook) done by the end of the month then will start working on the NGO management guide.

Today was church; I joined...they are very welcoming and wanted me to feel at home there while I am here, so I may end up with the shortest membership of all.  It will only be for six months.  Joining with me were two Chinese, and four black Africans. Yes, very diverse congregation!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home