Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Tuesday, March 03, 2015

2015 - GUATEMALA!

My next adventure, leading a team of 16 great people to help build a house.  The website article below is the call to which they responded. I am going in a couple weeks early to do a Spanish language immersion in Antigua. Hope to be able to post from there.

From the Habitat for Humanity Global Village website

San Marcos, Guatemala Marzo 21, 2015 to Marzo 29, 2015

Join this volunteer team in the highlands of Guatemala as they build a house alongside a partner family.



The region is prone to natural disasters, so Habitat for Humanity is building sturdy houses that can withstand the next earthquake. For people who are vulnerable to disasters as well as economic shocks, these homes create stability and resilience.

As you build with the family, you’ll be welcomed into the neighborhood. Eat traditional food and meet the neighbors whose community you’re helping to improve. This trip is a unique opportunity to experience life inside the culture.

Global Village sends volunteers to build with Habitat for Humanity projects across the world. Get your hands dirty on the worksite, meet the families whose housing situation you are improving, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required! This build is your next step with Habitat to make the world a better place.

Meals and accommodations
Teams stay at modest, comfortable hostels. Enjoy typical Guatemalan meals prepared by locals, including your partner families.
Tasks on the work site
Typical work for a Global Village team may include digging foundation, framing walls, mixing cement, painting, carrying construction materials and other tasks assigned by the expert construction crew.
Contact this team’s leader
Have questions? Ready to join? Email team leader Connie Genger

Connie’s favorite GV memory: “On my first build in Mexico, the grandmother in our partner family hugged me tight and just kept repeating, ‘Gracias, Señora, gracias!’ She touched my heart as did all of my teammates. After that experience with Habitat, I was hooked!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home