Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Friday, October 31, 2014

SOWETO SESSIONS

Continuing to do pilot sessions of my curriculum, working with NGOs that are affiliated with the Nelson Mandela Children's Fund.


The NMCF helps fund many NGOs such as Emseni, who sponsored this group in Soweto. The woman with the red top was struggling with the activities that calculated interest charges on credit cards.  As I stopped to assist, realized she could add and subtract, but could not multiply or divide.  The young man thought I was "brilliant" because I was doing the multiplication so quickly on the flip chart.  But, during the Saturday morning classes of young adults in the city, those without calculators were not exactly "brilliant" either.

The class was conducted at a secondary school.  It was challenging as nearly everyone came late and at different times.   The venue was very "basic" by our standards, but the attendees were most appreciative of our time and the beneficial things that they learned.  It makes it all worthwhile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home