Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

UNIQUE AFTERNOON

One of the teachers here has been doing the Operation HOPE financial literacy program for a number of years, and we were invited out to do a "Financial Walk for Freedom" which was done elsewhere on Mandela Day, but since they were on holiday at that time, we did a delayed talk/walk on Monday afternon.
This is the lobby entrance to the facility. The school is located way out in the middle of nowhere, intentionally, to deter tourists, I think.  After all, it is simply a boarding school and not a museum or tourist attraction, but with Oprah's name on it, it is bound to attract the curious.




Ubuntu means "I am because we are."  This is a verse of their school song.  The school's motto is all about Education Is Our Tomorrow.

Two of the learners were the emcees, and wore the uniforms of green and gold.  The other students wore their casual clothes, as there has been a water shortage in the community lately.

Tshidi doing her presentation.
The audience.  The enrollment is about 270; this presentation was just for certain grades; probably about 150 in attendance.

I got a few minutes to talk about the Peace Corps.

Finished up with a walk around the circumference of the property.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home