Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Friday, July 18, 2014

MANDELA DAY



As part of Mandela Day activities, the Joburg Operation HOPE staff went to a Learning Center in the township of Diepsloot and did a walk for Financial Freedom.  The learners carried these placards with numerous quotes from Mandela, as well as financial literacy pieces of information.  The kids were here for a holiday program during their 3-week winter break...just as they were at Kai's "Camp I Am" at another township school that I posted about earlier.

"Nelson Mandela International Day was launched in recognition of Nelson Mandela's birthday on July 18, 2009 via unanimous decision of the UN General Assembly.  It was inspried by a request he made a year earlier for the next generation to take on the burden of leadership in addressing the world's social injustices when he said that "it's in your hands now."

It is more than a celebration of Madiba's life and legacy.  It is a global movement to honor his life's work, and act to change the world for the better." (from the NMID website)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home