Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

UNIFORMS AND NAMES

One day at the bus stop the two young girls (ages 14 and 15) were not wearing their usual school uniforms. (Nearly all South African students wear uniforms.) I asked them if they liked being able to wear whatever they wanted, and the both immediately responded that no, they did not!  It was too stressful to decide what to wear to make sure they would fit in and be wearing the "right" thing.  Interesting, yes?

Many black South Africans keep the name of their home language, most (all?) have some meaning.  For example, when Linda and I did a safari three years ago, our guide's name was Peace.  Angie's mother's name is Beauty.  (I wonder if she gave her daughter an American name to be more contemporary.) The NGO director I worked with in KwaZuluNatal went by the name of Knowledge.  My colleague's name at Operation Hope is Tshidi, which is a fairly common Zulu name.  I have seen and met Khanye, but was surprised yesterday at the grocery store to hear someone call "Connie" and one of the workers had a name tag with that spelling.  Quite unusual.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home