Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Thursday, June 12, 2014

PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS

South Africa is on the edge of a recession; the rand is weaker once again. When I arrived in January, it was very weak, but improved for a few months; now it appears to be working its way back up again.  Good for American tourists; not good for the people of this country.  One of the current major problems is a strike by the platinum miners that started about the time I came here in January...indications are that an agreement is in the near future.

The only electrical provider is in disarray, and are warning once more of brown outs and black outs this winter as usage increases.  So far, we've not had any, but they will likely be between 5-9 p.m., the peak periods. Another situation that compounds the problem year-round and has for several years is cable theft.  Eskom states that 40% of their power outages are due to cable theft.  A solution is to bury the cable deeper, but they don't have sufficient manpower to replace existing lines. Because of the value of the materials, the thieves will cut and steal cable from anywhere and everywhere...even where elderly live in low income neighborhoods.

The problems here are many and makes me once more realize and appreciate how fortunate we are by comparison. While living here and trying to help one must adopt the "how to eat an elephant" philosophy...it's easy to be overwhelmed, unless you focus on just one bite at a time.

 Peace Corps Volunteers, here and worldwide, are doing just that, bless them all.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home