Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Friday, July 04, 2014

4th OF JULY AND PAST WEEK

It's a TGIF day here, and since PCVs only get public holidays of their country of service and the the U. S. holidays, I worked at the office as usual, but the intern had a little eye problem and my manager was working elsewhere, but I didn't mind working there alone.  After work I went to my yoga class.  I was pretty independent.  :)

Our Independence Day today, and they just celebrated their 20 years of freedom here. Isn't that something? I think we tend to forget there are so many countries where the people still don't know freedom. A Peace Corps question posted on Facebook today was about what we PCVs have come to appreciate more about America.  There are so many things, it's hard to choose just one, but I think I'd say women's rights. So many millions of women around the world are oppressed it's difficult to get your mind around it.

This past week my work continued on the NGO management course.  I think we may offer it on two five-hour Saturday sessions in a small meeting room at my church sometime in the next few of months.  A vendor at the weekly Sunday African market expressed an interest, the church is near the market and will make the room available,  so we'll see what comes of it.

We also went out to my landlady's "Camp I Am" day camp for school kids on a three-week holiday break.  This was a session she facilitated for the Department of Basic Education on how to conduct a spelling bee. The first ever national bee will be held in October.  It was an interesting session, and included a role play by some of the learners attending the camp. Landlady Kai is the one on the far right, then Tshidi, my counterpart, then Jake with chin on hand.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home