Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Monday, July 28, 2014

WALKING THE TALK














A huge event in Joburg is a walk (running not allowed!) that attracts about 50,000.  It is a fund-raiser for charities and this year also a celebration of the 20th year of democracy, with a 20K race walk, a 20K walk, an 8K and 5K.  It was our intention to do the 20K walk, but a disconnect between the person who had our bibs (mandatory at the gate to the start line, and we were 30 seconds too late, so waited an hour to start the 8K.

It was still fun, as these two women were of good spirit and it was nice to just walk at a leisurely pace. There were 18,000 doing the 8K, but amazingly enough, it wasn't too crowded or stressful.  Afterward we went to the rooftop African market where I handed out flyers to the vendors about workshops scheduled for August at a meeting room at my church.  A great weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home