Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Sunday, August 10, 2014

ROTARY, KZN, FUN SOCIAL

 On Friday the 8th I caught a ride with people from a Rotary club in Boksburg (a Joburg suburb)  to go with them to Laura's village for their project to help furnish the creche (day care center) Laura's host father helped start in an old church.  I had a long discussion with him during my previous visit there, which was mutually beneficial, as it gave him many factors to consider and helped me understand NGOs (non-governmental organizations) here and to write my NGO Management Basics class, which I've just completed.   One of the member's sister works in a nearby clinic, and staff from there did numerous classes.
Connie, Arthur (the community leader) and PCV Laura



Flossing demonstration.  The woman on the right is the creche director and the Indian women work at the clinic.  


Mothers listening on health care for small children.  Arthur served as translator.  He is a retired professional and his English skills are very good.  A wonderful man.  His wife is a delight as well.

Kids at Laura's host family house.  No smiles for the camera...

Always, the motivating factor...come, and you get food!  Vast amounts of "pap" (a corn-meal staple in the village diet) along with chicken pieces (no heads or feet) and gravy. Not bad!  We ate with our fingers along with everyone else.



The Rotary and Rotaracts (a club for younger members) in front of Laura's house, joined by some local children.  There was one other older couple not in the picture. 
The covered porch at the Nxasa guest lodge where I stayed with 9 Rotaracts.  It was a lovely place...Each couple had their own bathroom, there was a fully equipped kitchen.  We had a braii (BBQ) using coals from the wood fireplace, with tons of wonderful steaks, music, dancing, etc.  (aka drinking).   I did the "sokkie"  which is like our jitterbug, and think I surprised them that this old American woman could dance like that!  My roomie was Jessica, an accountant and perfect match for me...she went to bed early as well and didn't drink much.  :)   It was so rejuvenating to have this socialization!
Sunrise as viewed from the porch of the lodge.  Most of the guests who stay here come to do the Battlefields tours...The infamous historical fights between the Zulus and the Anglos (Brits).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home