Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Monday, October 27, 2014

TEACHING AND A CONCERT

I did my second session with young adults this past Saturday morning at the workshops for D-vine Solutions, and will conclude with the final modules this coming Saturday morning.  A good group, and although the presentation venue is not ideal, I think they are learning (and hopefully retaining) new and important concepts to use once they begin earning money.

On Sunday I went to church, then up to Rosebank Mall to pick up a few more items for one of my recent visitors, then walked home.  The Scout leaders who were kind enough to take me to the raft building competition last March came to my (socialization) rescue again.  They picked me up and we went to the Joburg Theater to see Johnny Clegg and his band perform.  It was a wonderful concert and experience.  His is quite a remarkable story; if interested, you can google his name to learn more of his unusual background which includes teaching at a local university. A bit of a renegade kid, he was singing Zulu and playing music with blacks during Apartheid, which of course caused him to be banned from playing in South Africa. Some in the band have been together nearly 30 years.

This week I'll be going with my counterpart to Soweto to teach a group there as well, but a larger age range of attendees.  Soweto is an acronym for SouthWest Townships...and was for years associated with extreme poverty and crime, but is now a city unto itself (over a million people) with nice brick homes (as my counterpart's mother lives in) as well as areas with tin shacks.  It is still a distressed area, but I feel safe with her.

Have been working on my trip photos and elaborating on that posting as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home