Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

BACK IN THE SADDLE

OK, I’ve made it through the post home-visit blues, and am eager to get going on my project! I’ve had quite a few days with volunteer friends in the past couple of weeks, and that has helped immensely. Misery loves company, no?! Here’s my friend who engaged me in hours of card and game playing. We played a new card game called Quiddler, which is like Scrabble and quite challenging but fun.
When with Jong, I realize how easy
I have it as an older volunteer with
European heritage. There are very
few Asians in this country, so not only does she receive attention because she an attractive young woman, but especially so because she is South Korean. I admire
her resolve in just ignoring most of the comments she gets from Moroccan males.

I have been to the neddy and started to make plans for the project in order to write the PCPP (Peace Corps Public Participation) application. Not only do we need to create a boutique space, but also some improvements need to be made in the office/bathroom/classroom areas. We hope to get estimated costs in the next two weeks so I can submit the proposal for approval, and then I will let you know where you can to read about it online, and donate if you wish.

The teacher contingency has not returned to town, but once schools start, the neddy will open again, and I’ll start computer classes again. My goal is to teach some of them well enough that they can do letters, edit brochures, and create spreadsheets…all necessary for running their little business. I am hoping other women will volunteer to teach beginning French and Arabic (classical) once a week. I think it is more important for the girls/women to learn French, as that is who the majority of tourists are. Many of those who come to the neddy do not know French, and some do not know how to read or write classical Arabic. I would also sit in on both of those classes.

Weather has been about perfect the past few days. Bugs, etc. have somewhat disappeared. Yea!

2 Comments:

Blogger zifa said...

I admire
her resolve in just ignoring most of the comments she gets from Moroccan males.
hehe..it's only a cultural differnce
you have ways as dates and chat online to meet each other
in Morocco the only way to meet a girl is to folow her and make funny romantic comments,
i had never did that but i understand it..
the tuareg

10:19 AM  
Blogger marmi said...

i am glad you had a friend to spend some time with playing games. we look forward to lots of game time with mom and gramma in the future. xo

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home