Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

BERBERS and BEDOUINS. Some blog readers are doing studies of the Bedouins in their classrooms. Here is a bit of information that tells the difference between the people in my area (Berbers) and the Bedouins, with whom I have no personal knowledge.

There are about 20 million Berbers in Africa. They live mainly in Algeria and Morocco. The Berbers have lived in the northwestern part of Africa since prehistoric times. There are two primary Berber dialects in Morocco; most people in my village/area speak Tashelheit, but many also speak Moroccan Arabic, which is generally spoken throughout Morocco.

Small groups of nomads called Bedouins tend camels, goats, and sheep in the Sahara. Most of northern Africa was once populated chiefly by Bedouins, and Arab folklore is full of stories of their adventures. Today, less than 10 percent of northern Africa's people are Bedouins. The Bedouins travel between regular summer and winter grazing areas and live in tents woven of animal hair.

Coming next...lots of pictures of housing construction process.

1 Comments:

Blogger xoussef said...

i am no expert, but my understanding is that there is no Bedouin tribes in north Africa west of the Nile. Nomadic tribes in Morocco are Arab speaking and Berber tribes as well. The nomadic way of life has all to do with the area they live in, not the ethnicity. Besides, the culture, customs and language of the Hassania Arabs of Mauritanian and Moroccan sahara is completely different from the Sinai, Palestine and Jordan for the little i know of it. I'll try to get a genealogy and check if there are any links though.

12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home