Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Sunday, September 30, 2007

TOUBKAL HIKE. A couple of my younger PCV friends decided to hike the highest mountain in Morocco, and invited me to join them. I had been hoping to do this hike for quite awhile. Weather seemed to be just right for it. After I had heard from numerous others that the top part of the climb included an area with very steep scree, I decided to go with them, but not summit.
The trailhead is out of a beautiful
village by the name of Imlil, which is about 40 miles south of Marrakech.
Many people go there just for the lovely drive. Lonely Planet states it is a 4-6 hour trek to the Toubkal refuge; it took us 7 hours, primarily because I was so slow. My friends assured me it would have taken
them close to 6 hours without me. It’s only 6 miles and about 2300 feet ascent to the refuge, but steadily steep and a fairly rocky trail most of the way. It was enjoyable because of the fantastic views, but rather arduous since I hadn’t done any “real” hiking for well over a year.The refuge is a large stone building with a big dining hall with heavy wooden furniture, dormitory bunk bed rooms, toilets (not Moroccan, yea!) and showers, at an extra cost. Quite a lovely structure, I think probably European in design. There were several guided operations that had tents set up in the area as well. We all were a bit short on cash, and trying to barter prices at the refuge didn’t do us much good, but we ended up with a fairly hearty supper meal of Hrira (the Ramadan evening meal staple), spaghetti, and bread. Had a nice dinner conversation with an English couple and Scottish young man. We saved a few dirhams by sleeping on Moroccan couches in the salon, rather than in a bunk bed dormitory room, which probably ended up to be just as comfortable and private. It was quite chilly but once we warmed up in our sleeping bags, were able to get a few hours of good sleep. Rachel and Gavin set out the next morning for the top, and I went by myself to the bottom.
Here is a view of the path from afar. A small little
village comprised a several hanuts await hikers part way up; it is also a location for a little pilgrimage for Moroccans, as well. Note the "cooler" for the sodas. The rocky photo is a close up of the "path."




Encountered numerous donkeys packing LOTS of water bottles. Wonder what they do with all that plastic when they’re emptied?

Took a wrong turn when I got to the bottom, so ended up hiking an extra half hour. Then had a bit of misunderstanding with the taxi driver regarding the cost to Kech, (he ended up very unhappy with me, and I with him!) so went right home Sunday, as I didn’t have enough to even stop at the cyber to email/blog. Was wonderful to get home to a bucket bath, and then slept 10 hours! Oh yeah, painful (pun intended) reminder that I sure am 64!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home