Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Wednesday, July 23, 2008


104 in the shade. Oh yeah,
summertime has hit. Like AZ, NV etc. but without airconditioning anywhere, at least not in houses or transportation that I must use. These are photos from my roof of the same view; one was taken in March and the other today. There is so much dirt in the air from sandstorms around the country…we get some bad winds here, but nothing like they have in the south.

When walking this morning I met one of the girls from the neddy, and after the kiss-kiss thing, she asked me if I had on argan oil. They just have different thermostats and she didn’t realize it was my sweat, walking up hill at 8:30 in the morning!

Various insects are also starting to appear, but not too bad in my house. I was reading in bed and felt something in my hair and brushed madly, thinking it was a roach. A metal hair clip I had put there to keep hair back from my face went flying through the air. I had to laugh at myself. A few minutes later I felt something on my arm and again brushed madly…it was a bug and I demolished it all over my forearm. Ick. My friend told me last weekend that she walked into her kitchen recently and there was a scorpion and large roach…she wasn’t sure which was dead carrying the other…she ended their life too fast to find out. I am lucky that we don’t seem to have scorpions here, and I really have had a few roaches. They are fairly large, and am told that when you see them in a public place and they are big, it isn’t so bad. It is when they are small that it is an indication of unsanitary conditions. Am also told that it is not a good idea to step on them, because if they are pregnant, the eggs will go all over and could survive and then you will have lots of roaches. I saw a little lizard by my front door recently, so maybe that little guy is keeping my bug level down. I gotta keep thinking, at least I'm not wearing three layers of fleece and freezing to death!

My counterpart has been ill/away for two days so I have been unable to go to the neddy. One of the door handles is falling off and I have a difficult time using the skeleton key necessary to get in to do any work. We will get the door handle replaced in the next week, inshallah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home