Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Saturday, July 05, 2008

SEGOVIA. This morning we were treated to another great meal, then set off for a town about an hour north of Madrid, which is famous for its huge aquaduct, as well as other ancient buildings.

The Cathedral. Original one was across from Alcazar but was destroyed by war in 1521, Rebuilt and finished in 1868, defined by style and chronology as the last Gothic one, but much about it tends to be of Renaissance persuasion. There are many small chapels within,
with magnificent works of art, including
many renditions of the crucified Christ.

Alcazar was constructed upon the remains
of an old Roman fortress. Castilian monarchs lived there during Medieval times,it was a prison between the 17th and 18th century, converted into an artillery school. Ruined by fire in 1862, it was rebuilt 20 years later. Here Margaret is taking a brief rest with Inger and Braulio.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home