Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

MISC. STUFF. It's starting to warm up here a bit. Generally about 95 (in the sun) during day and about 80-85 inside my house. Those temps will likely be at least 10 degrees higher a month from now.

The neddy is wrapping up their training this week; I think it will work out well to open up the store in the heat of the summer when there are fewer tourists; my helpers can more easily learn to wait on customers and keep records when there is less activity.

I am patiently (well, maybe not) waiting for help to get signs and other purchases/things made and done to finish up what we need for the boutique so we can open when I return from my trip. I am leaving Saturday for Casa, where I'm meeting my PCV friend Margaret; we're headed for Madrid then Bilbao (home of the Guggenheim Museum) and other sites, back to Madrid for an evening/day with a couple I met through my work associations, and then home again in time to "celebrate" ten years of sobriety.

Although I no longer have a desire to drink alcohol, one might think it would be easy to not drink here anyway since it is against the Muslim religion and most do not. However, there are places to buy alcohol and there are bars (other than those at tourist hotels) where Moroccan men drink. And sure, the other volunteers certainly find them...most of them are young and love to party when they get together. The isolated cases of drinking I hear/know about in the villages (where there are no bars are places that sell booze) usually involve abused wives, sad to say.

When I was walking this morning, I thought of some of the special people in my life (as I often do these days) and am so grateful I am/got to be a part of their lives.

Will blog again in July with photos of Spain!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home