Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A NIGHT AT THE OPERA! Who'd athunk it, in Mgrib?! My PCV friend Rob discovered that there would be opera last Saturday night in Kech, asked if I wanted to go, so without knowing anything more, after putting aside my boring but comfortable plans to stay home, I said, sure! So we saw the "Barber of Seville," with two other volunteers who happened to be in town. The theatre is an outdoor amphitheater; the photos here will need to be enlarged to get the idea, I imagine. The leads were played by a French troupe, so although the music was Italian, the spoken dialogue was in French. I didn't understand much of it (what else is new?!) but of course the acting was such that I did get the drift and had some good chuckles. The majority of the orchestra, and all of the chorus, were Moroccans. Overall quality of
performance was not outstanding, but it was pretty good. It was a beautiful evening, good company, and we ended the night (literally...at midnight) by splurging with ice cream at a nearby Haagen Dazs cafe. Oh, by the way, the cost of the ticket to the opera was 100 Dhs...about $14. One scoop of the delicious ice cream was 20Dhs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home